Egypt condemns attack on UAE vessel in Hormuz, urges de-escalation

BY

-

Sat, 08 Aug 2026 - 03:39 GMT

BY

Sat, 08 Aug 2026 - 03:39 GMT

A file photo of ADNOC boats. Photo by ADNOC

A file photo of ADNOC boats. Photo by ADNOC

CAIRO – 8 August 2026: Egypt strongly condemned the targeting of an oil tanker operated by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) with a missile while it was transiting the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday.

In a statement, the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the attack as a serious threat to the security and safety of maritime navigation and the movement of trade through one of the world’s most important international waterways.

ADNOC said one of its vessels was targeted by a missile while transiting the vital strait in the early hours of Saturday, according to UAE’s official news agency WAM.

No injuries were reported, and the situation was brought under control, the company said.

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the “aggressive Iranian attack” and accused the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of carrying out “acts of piracy.”

The Emirati ministry said the attack constitutes a blatant violation of UN Security Council Resolution 2817, which emphasized freedom of navigation and rejected attacks on commercial vessels or disruption of international maritime routes.

“Targeting commercial shipping and using the Strait of Hormuz as a tool of pressure or economic coercion constitute acts of piracy by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps and pose a direct threat to the stability of the region and its peoples, as well as global energy security,” the UAE added.

The Gulf state called for Iran to halt such aggressive attacks, fully comply with a cessation of all hostilities, and reopen the Strait of Hormuz “fully and unconditionally.”

The Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy corridor between Iran and Oman, carried roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas before the US-Israeli war on Iran erupted on 28 February.

Shipping through the strategic waterway has faced repeated disruptions since then, pushing up freight rates and heightening concerns over maritime security.

The IRGC has previously warned that vessels linked to Tehran’s adversaries, or those that do not comply with Iranian directives, could face action while transiting the strait.

The IRGC has maintained tight control over Hormuz, restricting vessel movements and targeting traffic it considers hostile, while US President Donald Trump recently said a deal to reopen the waterway is imminent.

In its statement, Egypt affirmed its full solidarity with the UAE and categorically rejected all acts targeting vessels and civilian facilities and threatening the security and safety of navigation in the region.

It stressed the need to respect freedom of navigation in international waterways and ensure that it is not put at risk.

Egypt renewed its call for de-escalation and for political and diplomatic solutions to be prioritized in a manner that contributes to regional security and stability.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Be Social