Israeli attacks in Gaza threaten to derail political process, reignite escalation: Joint statement

BY

-

Thu, 06 Aug 2026 - 10:58 GMT

BY

Thu, 06 Aug 2026 - 10:58 GMT

Flags of Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia, whose foreign ministers issued a joint statement on the situation in the Gaza Strip.

Flags of Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia, whose foreign ministers issued a joint statement on the situation in the Gaza Strip.

CAIRO – 6 August 2026: Egypt and several Arab and Muslim countries on Thursday condemned Israel's ongoing violations in Gaza, warning in a joint statement that they threaten to derail the political process and reignite escalation.

The statement has so far been endorsed by Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye, and Saudi Arabia.

The foreign ministers of the eight countries condemned the ongoing Israeli violations, particularly the targeting of healthcare facilities and medical infrastructure, attacks on civilian infrastructure, and the continued loss of civilian lives, including women and children.

WafaImage
Palestinians attend the funeral of the remains of 112 members of a single family after they were recovered from the rubble of homes destroyed in Israeli strikes in Gaza, 4 Aug. 2026. WAFA

 

They stressed that these attacks constitute grave violations of international law, including international humanitarian law.

The continuation of these violations constitutes a clear breach of Israel's obligations under international law and the Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict,” the statement read.

‘Obstructing Gaza Ceasefire's Second Phase’

The ongoing attacks also undermine international and regional efforts to implement the plan's second phase, particularly following US President Donald Trump's announcement that Palestinian factions had accepted the roadmap, including provisions related to the confinement of weapons, the statement added.

The ministers warned that the violations threaten to “derail the political process, reignite the cycle of escalation, and further deepen the humanitarian catastrophe in the Gaza Strip.”

They called for protecting civilians, safeguarding medical facilities and personnel working in the health and humanitarian sectors, and ensuring the immediate, safe, and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance, medical supplies, and relief aid across Gaza.

These legal obligations "must not be compromised or diminished under any circumstances," the statement underscored.

US President Donald Trump on Friday said the Board of Peace (BoP), established under his peace plan for Gaza, reached a “historic agreement” for the “complete disarmament” of armed groups in the enclave and the Israeli forces’ withdrawal.

Later on the day, the BoP published a 14-point roadmap covering the decommissioning of armed groups, Gaza governance by a Palestinian National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), Israeli withdrawal, and the deployment of a temporary International Stabilization Force (ISF).

Hamas said on Friday it agreed to hand over its weapons to a Palestinian governing committee under the US-backed roadmap. However, Israel said it will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed.

Since then, Israel has intensified its attacks on Gaza, killing dozens over the past few days.

The escalation has pushed the Palestinian death toll in Gaza to more than 73,000 since the war began, including 1,254 killed since the ceasefire took effect in October 2025.

‘Gaza Violations Part of Broader Israeli Policy’

The ministers said the ongoing Israeli violations in the Gaza Strip cannot be viewed in isolation from settler attacks in the occupied West Bank, illegal settlement expansion, and unilateral measures aimed at changing the status quo in occupied Jerusalem.

They said these practices together constitute "a systematic policy" aimed at imposing a fait accompli by force, undermining the foundations of the two-state solution, and marginalizing the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people, in a flagrant violation of international law and relevant UN resolutions.

‘Holding Perpetrators Accountable’

The ministers renewed their call on the international community, particularly the UN Security Council, to take effective measures to compel Israel to comply with its obligations under international law, including international humanitarian law and UN Security Council Resolution 2803.

They also called for those responsible for grave violations to be held accountable, saying such measures would help protect civilians, preserve the prospects for completing implementation of the agreement, and secure a permanent ceasefire.

‘Peace Through Two-State Solution’

The ministers reaffirmed their countries' categorical rejection of any attempts to annex the occupied Palestinian territory, impose Israeli sovereignty over it, or forcibly displace the Palestinian people.

They stressed that the only path to a just and comprehensive peace is a serious political process leading to the implementation of the two-state solution, including the establishment of an independent, sovereign Palestinian state along the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Be Social